Periodontal Care In Jacksonville
If you’ve ever had a cavity or toothache you know how important it is to keep up with your regular checkups at the dentist.
As your local family dentist in Jacksonville, Dr. Lamond and his team are dedicated to practicing high quality preventive dentistry in a friendly, judgement-free environment. By receiving gentle dental cleanings and comprehensive dental exams, patients can enjoy a better standard of oral health even between visits to the dentist. If it’s been awhile since your last visit to the dentist or you’ve noticed a change in your dental health, give us a call at (903) 586-8244 to schedule a consultation.
How Important is My Dental Visit?
Much more goes into your dental cleaning and exam than you may think. By coming in every six months for a checkup, Dr. Lamond is able to discover and treat small dental issues (before they become costly or painful) and predict changes in your dental health. Oftentimes it’s hard to know if you have a cavity or other dental issue before it becomes a painful problem. At Dental Solutions of East Texas, we believe in using minimally invasive treatments to protect your smile early-on, so you can feel more confident knowing there are no surprises down the road.
What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease, also known as gingivitis or periodontal disease, is one of the most common forms of chronic diseases, and affects over half of adults in America today. If left untreated, what starts as a minor irritation in the mouth quickly develops into a more serious dental condition known as periodontal disease. Seek the care of your local dentist if you have one or more of the following symptoms of gum disease:
- Red, swollen gums or gums that bleed when brushing
- Formation of a dental abscess or pus around the gums
- Teeth that are loose or appear longer as gums recede from the teeth
- Increased tooth sensitivity or pain in the mouth
- Chronic bad breath or a lasting bad taste in the mouth
Scaling And Root Planing
Patients who see their dentist regularly have a better chance of preventing, reducing or even curing signs of gum disease before it has a chance to progress. However, in cases where gum disease advances into periodontitis, your regular dental cleaning and any brushing and flossing at home will not be enough to cure this painful, chronic condition. To prevent tooth loss, tooth decay and other symptoms of periodontitis, your dentist will use a treatment known as scaling and root planing to improve your oral health:
- The scaling and root planing process, also known as “deep cleaning” may begin with the application of a local anesthesia to numb the affected area.
- Once the patient feels comfortable, our hygienist will use a scaling instrument to carefully remove tough buildup of bacteria, plaque and tartar (dental calculus) from the surface of the teeth.
- Next, dental planing involves reaching carefully just below the gum line to locate and remove the agitating debris that may be causing your gum inflammation, toothache or gums that bleed when brushing.
- Once complete, it is highly important to maintain a good dental hygiene routine at home. In some cases your dentist may prescribe a dental medication or antibiotic to help in the healing process and reduce chances for reinfection.
Dental Health Affects Overall Health
Bleeding gums are NOT normal. If rinsing your mouth after brushing results in a pinkish color in the sink, don’t hesitate to schedule a visit to your family dentist. Gum disease can not only lead to more serious dental issues such as tooth inflammation, toothache or tooth loss over time, but it is known to have a systemic relationship with your overall health. More dentists are beginning to link poor dental health and gum disease to certain health risks attached to cardiovascular health and risks of stroke, Alzheimer’s and various pregnancy issues. Maintaining your oral health plays a large role in the health of your entire body, and is best supported with preventive care.
Benefits of Visiting Your Family Dentist
To best protect your smile, practice a good dental hygiene routine and remember to come in for a regular dental check up, cleaning and quality periodontal care. At your appointment, Dr. Lamond is able to carefully monitor your dental health, predict changes and incorporate gentle treatments in preventive dentistry (such as dental cleanings or fillings) to promote positive oral health that is maintained to last.
As an adult you only have one set of teeth! When you visit your local dentist in Jacksonville we’ll partner with you to keep your smile feeling healthy and strong no matter what life brings your way. Call us at (903) 586-8244 to schedule your next visit to the dentist.